22 year old Argentinian, who likes thrash, death, heavy metal, grunge, punk, horror, gore, serial killers, creepy and weird stuff, Courage, The Cowardly Dog, Adventure Time, Regular Show, I also like animals and skulls.
Instant death, right? Wrong. This phenomenon actually occurs more frequently than you’d expect after cases of trauma, with many people surviving. In fact after a car accident, a woman spent 1 year diagnosed with whiplash before someone finally did an X-ray and realised what the crap was going on. It went on for so long that the bones in her spine began to deteriorate and her neck collapsed to the point of her chin resting onto her clavicle - this then lead to sores and infection. This however is a rather unfortunate scenario; in most instances it’s caught right after the accident and reattached immediately, with both kids and adults having survived it. But still, eeeesh!
So how does it happen?
This nasty scenario occurs when the atlanto-occipital joint is dislocated (this a synovial joint which attaches the skull to the spine - you can see a clear detachment of these in the image). Most documented cases of it occurred during road traffic accidents, either as a driver or pedestrian. There have also been some reported cases during childbirth. All of these survivors have of course been very lucky to not have suffered any accompanying spinal cord/nerve damage because that it a pretty sure ticket outta here.
Another example of internal decapitation worth mentioning is hanging. I’d hope to not survive in that instance because you end up asphyxiating instead. Nasty!
In the FBI’s study of serial killers, the Criminal Personality Research Project, each of the following categories describes a type of sexual behaviour engaged in by one or more of the serial killers:
1. Animal Torture: stabbing or chopping animals to death (especially cats for some reason) and dissecting them.
2. Anthropophagy: Eating the victim’s flesh or slicing off parts of flesh from the body.
3. Autoeroticism: Sexual arousal and gratification through self-stimulation (masturbating to pornography or violent fantasies, asphyxia, while cross-dressing, etc.)
4. Coprophilia: An interest in feces whereby the offender may receive some sexual gratification from touching or eating excretement and/or urine (urophilia). Although rare among serial killers, at least one of the killers in the study was known to have eaten his own excretement.
5. Exhibitionism: Exposing one’s genitals to an unsuspecting stranger.
6. Fetishisms: Finding sexual gratification by substituting objects for the sexual partner.
7. Gerontophilia: Seeking out elderly persons of the opposite sex for sexual purposes.
8. Klismaphilia: Sexual arousal through the administration of enemas.
9. Infibulation: Self-torture, for example piercing one’s own nipples, scrotum, labia with sharp objects such as needles and pins.
10. Lust Murder: Murdering sadistically and brutally, including the mutilation of body parts, especially the genitalia.
11. Necrophilia: Having sexual relations (or fantasies about sex) with dead bodies. A subcategory is necrofetishism, which is having a fetish for dead bodies, and these offenders may keep corpses in their home.
12. Pedophilia: Having sexual relations with children (generally child refers to a pre-pubescent individual)
13. Pederasty: Adults have anal intercourse with children. This is a common act among serial killers who target children.
14. Pyromania: Intentional setting of fires. Although some pyromaniacs report sexual gratification in setting or watching fire scenes, the role of sexuality in fire-setting does not appear as the primary reason for such behaviour.
15. Rape: Having forced sexual intercourse with another person.
16. Sadomasochism: Inflicting mental/physical pain on others (sadism) or oneself (masochism).
17. Scatolophilia or Telephone Scatologia: Sexual gratification through the making of obscene phone calls.
18. Scoptophilia or Voyeurism: Receiving sexual gratification by peeping through windows and so forth to watch people.
19. Torture: Resorting to a large variety of sadistic acts.
Let me say this to you. You can’t fake it. It’s got to be real or it’s not going to work. If it’s not real and it’s not true, it’s simply just not going to work, man. You got to be real, you got to be righteous, you got to do it the way it’s supposed to be done, and it’s got nothing to do with me. Me is a word, man. Righteousness belongs to everybody. Everything that I’m saying is everyone. I’m not THE one. There is no one THE one. Everybody is the one. Everybody has the one inside of them. - Charles Manson, 2007